AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

incontinence taboo

adelle

incontinence taboo

Post by adelle

Ulrika breaks incontinence taboo

High profile names can help raise awareness of a disease or condition, and bring it under the spotlight.

In the first of the series, Ulrika Jonsson talks candidly about light adult incontinence (LAI) which she suffered from after the birth of her fourth child.

By sharing her experiences she hopes to help reduce the stigma surrounding this normally guarded subject.

New research by the Wellbeing of Women charity shows that one third of British women over the age of 30 have experience of this condition. However, women often suffer in silence falsely assuming they are alone and too embarrassed to seek help.

The condition is linked not only to childbirth, but also to the menopause, which results in a loss of hormones that play an essential role in keeping the muscles strong and elastic.

Exercises

Pelvic floor exercises can be used to improve bladder control.

The pelvic floor muscles relax at the same time as the bladder contracts in order to let urine out, but if they lose strength they may begin to relax at other times, causing leakage.

The exercises involve clenching the muscles you would use to prevent yourself urinating.

Another treatment is a weighted cone which is held in the vagina to teach the pelvic floor muscles to contract.

Alternatively, a technique as simple as emptying the bladder at fixed intervals can produce relatively quick results.

Other treatments can include drugs, electrical stimulation of the pelvic floor, and, as a last resort, surgery.
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Post on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am by bluesheart

must admit that I thought it was a taboo and something to hide. I started off with something called dribble incontinence which I thought could be managed on my own but over time complications set in and unknown to me my bladder became enlarged. it was through complications that I then sought help but it took many years before this happened all because I thought it was a taboo matter.

I ask anyone if they suffer with incontinence not to feel ashamed or embarrassed and to try seek help, if you can't face this then simply come on board here for some moral support.

p.s don't forget our forum address is changing to - socialhub.forumotion.co.uk

Current date/time is Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 am