socialhub health forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
socialhub health forum

health advice and discussions

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

2 posters

told i had Helicobacter Pylori

anthony

told i had Helicobacter Pylori  Empty told i had Helicobacter Pylori

Post by anthony Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:32 am

i was told i had Helicobacter pylori and wanted to know more about it and found this information.

Helicobacter pylori is found in the stomach. It was identified in 1982 by Barry Marshall and Robin Warren, who found that it was present in patients with chronic gastritis and gastric ulcers, conditions that were not previously believed to have a microbial cause. It is also linked to the development of duodenal ulcers and stomach cancer.

More than 50% of the world's population harbor H. pylori in their upper gastrointestinal tract. Infection is more prevalent in developing countries, and incidence is decreasing in Western countries.

Most people (over 80%) infected with H. pylori show no symptoms, acute infection may appear as an acute gastritis with abdominal pain (stomach ache) or nausea.

Where this develops into chronic gastritis, the symptoms, if present, are often those of non-ulcer dyspepsia: stomach pains, nausea, bloating, belching and sometimes vomiting.

Diagnosis of infection is usually made by checking for dyspeptic symptoms and by tests which can indicate H. pylori infection. One can test noninvasively for H. pylori infection with a blood antibody test, stool antigen test, or with the carbon urea breath test.

None of the test methods are completely failsafe.

Once H. pylori is detected in patients with a peptic ulcer, the normal procedure is to eradicate it and allow the ulcer to heal. The standard first-line therapy is a one week "triple therapy" consisting of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lansoprazole and the antibiotics clarithromycin and amoxicillin.

Variations of the triple therapy have been developed over the years, such as using a different proton pump inhibitor, as with pantoprazole or rabeprazole, or replacing amoxicillin with metronidazole for people who are allergic to penicillin.

soz about spellings
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

told i had Helicobacter Pylori  Empty Re: told i had Helicobacter Pylori

Post by Admin Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:07 am

did you manage to last the course as i heard that the medication can make you feel very rough?
    anthony

Post by anthony Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:03 pm

thiink it did admin but felt terrible half way through the course.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:19 am