socialhub health forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
socialhub health forum

health advice and discussions

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

smart diet

pam

smart diet Empty smart diet

Post by pam

Adding more olive oil or nuts to a Mediterranean diet — one rich in fruits, vegetables, fish and whole grains and low in red meat — may help keep your mind sharper as you age, a new study suggests.

The Spanish researchers found that seniors following such diets had greater improvements in thinking and memory than people who were simply advised to eat a lower-fat diet.

The report was published online May 11 in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.

For the study, Ros and colleagues collected data on nearly 450 older adults between 2003 and 2009. Their average age was 67. All of the participants were at high risk for heart disease, but had no reported problems with memory or thinking.

Participants were randomly assigned to add a liter (about 33 ounces) of extra virgin olive oil per week to their Mediterranean diet, or to supplement their Mediterranean diet with 30 grams (roughly 1 ounce) per day of a mixture of walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds. Others followed a low-fat diet.

Mental changes over time were assessed with a battery of memory, attention and thinking tests. Complete data on almost 350 patients was available for analysis, the researchers said. The participants followed the diets for four years, on average, according to the study.

In both groups following a Mediterranean diet, the researchers saw improvements in tests of memory and thinking compared to the group on the low-fat diet, the study showed.
    Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon May 18, 2015 2:48 pm by SueAnn

We've used olive oil in our cooking for years. It is something that my mother ingrained in me from an early age. We also enjoy a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, no one in my family enjoys fish. Are there any lean meats that have some of the same benefits that fish provides?